GENIVI members enjoy a collaborative, innovation-building environment producing a reusable, feature-rich software platform and an expanding ecosystem for infotainment in the car.
GENIVI has enabled a fundamental change in the approach to IVI software development. By introducing Linux and open-source software into the IVI platform, GENIVI has fundamentally altered the way the automotive software process works, resulting in lower cost and reduced development and validation cycle time.
- Reusable software platform that allows original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to deliver differentiating features and functions to their customers
- Platform that can be used across multiple product years and multiple models within a single year
- Lower OEM development and validation costs
- Compliance program that ensures products from suppliers meet OEM requirements and adhere to standard mechanisms for supplying non-differentiating services to the application and user interface layers of the software stack.
Software Suppliers to OEMs
- Collaborative development environment that reduces engineering burden on any single member
- Opportunities for learning and interaction with industry experts
- Tools for a continuous build environment reduces costs for in-company integration and test environments
- Opportunities to build operational efficiency through partnerships with other GENIVI members
- Access to cutting-edge industry specifications
- Ability to cost-effectively evangelize the merits of a community development environment through GENIVI branding and marketing.
- Expanded industry influence through the "single voice" of the alliance
- A “build once and reuse” model that maximizes reusability of the platform
- Supplier ability to re-allocate engineering talent to differentiating features since “commodity” functionality is covered by the GENIVI platform
- Richer features and functions delivered to the customer while providing a competitive advantage for the OEMs
- Aligned automotive and consumer electronic product cycles, resulting in greater “plug-ability” of recently released consumer devices.
End Customer (Driver)
- Access to the “latest and greatest” consumer devices
- Advanced functions and features
- Full functionality for drivers at a reasonable cost